Thursday, February 12

Day 9932: I Choo-Choo-Choo-Choose You!!

I would be remiss if I didn't blog about V-day. Afterall, EVERYONE has blogged about V-day... haven't they? Not that it matters or anything - I like to go at my own pace. If I want to sing Christmas carols in July, I have every right to do so... especially, if I'm singing White Christmas.

V-days in past years have been blah. Grade school was great - loads of cute little corny red and white paper Valentines, spicy cinnamon hearts, trinkets we gave our parents made with felt and white glue that we thought we oh-so-beautiful, cheap chocolate...the list continues. But the coolness of V-day stopped being so cool after grade 6, when all of a sudden, you realized that wait-a-second, the "will you be mine" cards that were supposed to come from guys just didn't come, and well, let's not linger on that thought any longer. High school wasn't much better... university wasn't much better than high school... and yeah, let's just say that the only flowers I've ever received for V-day was from my step-dad last year. What a cutie.

So eventually V-day became just another day. One that my brain analytically attacked and criticized as being a Hallmark holiday - a capitalist commercialization and distortion of human desire and emotion that reprogrammed our brains to believe that we needed to "celebrate" that special someone only on that one day a year... and not every day of the year. It was no wonder that the malls are filled with candies, flowers, chocolates and pink and white cards when people believe that they need to buy their way in. But now, I don't think it's true. Not completely at least. Sure the commercialization of the day is still wrong, but I think people need it. People are running around so much these days, that they take their loved ones for granted don't stop to think and appreciate them for what they are. People need V-day to remind them that love IS what makes the world go 'round. It is the basis for everything that we hold near and dear to our hearts.

This V-day feels different from the others. A little more special. More mellow and more relaxed because there just isn't that feeling of damn-I-need-to-go-find-a-boy. I'm happy, I love my friends, I love my family...I've got everything I need. :)

Karen, Wai-sum, Wai-e, Bo, Binny, Chi, Benifer, Ashish, Rosie, Mini, Linda, Greggie-poo, Triscuit... will y'alls be my Valentines? Love ya lots!

No comments: