Thursday, October 20

day 10549: the little things

remembering them…

Cabbie: Sorry Miss, do you have anything smaller? I don’t have any change.
Schmassion: No. Only this $20. Let me dig around… no… nothing…
Cabbie: Don’t worry about it then, Miss.
Schmassion: That’s not right… just keep the $20.
Cabbie: It’s ok. Someone else will give me a $5.
Schmassion: That’s not right… here…
Cabbie: No Miss… you have a nice day…

~

Timmy Ho girl: See what this nice lady gave me? She tipped me a whole dollar…


sweating them…

Today’s massive email:

“Trust is a BIG, BIG issue for me. I take trust and commitment very seriously. My number one pet peeve is people saying that they will do something and then not doing it. Yes, I have discontinued friendships because of it, or have seriously affected friendships because of it. Some have recovered. Some have not and never will. If I say that I will do something, I will do everything I can to do it. Only in the utmost of circumstances do I back down from something. Again, I give to people what I would expect back from them. I learned a long time ago that if I am not a person of my word, then I am nothing. What is a person if he/she cannot be trusted? So if I make a commitment, I keep my commitment. That’s why I continue playing football every week even though I don’t really like it.

I understand completely where you are coming from and while I agree with many of your points (and facts), I also learned a long time ago that not everyone is like me. If I continue to set my expectations too high, I will constantly be disappointed by people. Not everyone lives to the same standards that I hold myself to. Not everyone can because this world does not exist in an absolute state of being and not everyone has the same values and morals as I do. But does that necessarily decrease the level of trust I have in them… no. I trust different people for different things. I would trust some people with my life, but I would never trust them with a secret. I would trust some people with a life-changing secret, but never trust them with my life or my physical well-being.

This world is full of shades of grey. Not everything is black and white. If you hold everything as an absolute, even the people closest to you will disappoint you from time to time. I’ve learned not to sweat the small stuff and only make an issue of it if it is a really big deal. Even though I try hard to hold myself to my principles and standards, I’ve dropped the ball on a ton of things, usually on really big things, and that mostly impact my immediate family (i.e. the people that matter the most). And even so, no matter how many times I’ve disappointed them, they find it in their hearts to forgive me. That is the true meaning of love and friendship. I can tell you now that at one point or another, I will drop the ball on you. I won’t mean to, and I won’t like it, but it will happen. I’m not perfect, and neither are you. If you expect me to be, as a condition of our friendship, then I’m sorry, but I will disappoint you.”

No comments: