Friday, August 6

Day 10109: 13 hours of sleep later...

Every morning on my way to the subway, I pass by the big Loblaws grocery store down the street. Some days I'm on time, most day's I'm running oh-just-a-tad late... On those rare, rare days I'm on time, I get treated to one of the funniest sights I've ever seen in TO...

The grocery store opens at 8:00. 7:55 (and sometimes even earlier), there are people lined up in front of the half opened gates. Old men, young family-aged women, people with more time to spare than they'd like to admit... Shopping carts in hand, raring to go...

They crouch low over the shopping cart handle like a kid prepping for a bmx race. Glance sideways at the competition out of the corners of their eyes... jostle for the pole position, pushing and shoving until they manage to get the very tip of their shopping cart under the gate...

And all because they want to be the very first customer into Loblaws. The very first person to buy yesterday's leftover unsold already vine ripened tomatoes...

Will wackos never cease to amaze me...

No comments: