Friday, April 15

day 10361: it’s ok, you just keep living in your own little happy world

A couple of weekends ago, Triscuit and I were spending a very bleary Sunday afternoon recovering from an equally bleary Saturday night. ABBA was playing, doggy cookies were fresh out of the oven, and we were laying one on top of the other in a random pile of people and dog.

Random kisses, absently scratching the dog’s head; we were content as can be listening to music… until I listened to the lyrics and attempted to sing along…

DID YOU KNOW THAT ABBA SONGS ARE SAD?

I didn’t. I also didn’t know that the astronaut in David Bowie’s Space Oddity floated away into outer space. I also didn’t know that Tracy Chapman’s Fast Cars wasn’t a happy song either.

I cried…

No REALLY, I CRIED. Tears weren’t just daintily flowing from the corner of my eyes. I BAWLED…

“Are you crying?”

“Why didn’t you tell me these songs were so sad…” I could barely get the words out… it sounded more like “Whddirtellkgsonwad…” I think I hiccupped.

“You’ve been singing the songs all day…”

“Yeah, but I don’t listen to the words. I just make them up as I go along…”

No comments: