Thursday, December 11

Day 9869: Deck the Halls.

Word from the not-so-wise. If you go to a place where the usual clientele doesn't usually order shots (i.e. they order cognac or brandies with their $50 cigars...) don't get the bartender to "surprise" you with a shot. It could be a really, really, really, really, really bad experience. Trust me. I know.

Last night, was the night of the semi-dreaded Christmas party. Semi-dreaded because of the usual pre-party apprehensions (don't do well with small talk in formal situations)... and semi-dreaded because it was the first time I have ever brought a date to an office function. Wasn't so sure how well he'd be received, and how well he'd take the eccentricities of my office peeps. Luckily, we stayed below the radar and I'm pretty sure he had a good time. I know I did.

It's become somewhat of a firm tradition to order rounds of shots at our little gatherings - tax party, Christmas party, etc. etc. Usually, they are somewhat normal... polar bears, crispy crunches. But yesterday - and I shudder at the memory - shots made in port snifters, so double shots, with 8 different things in it. Kahlua, Creme de Menthe, Grand Marnier, and god knows what else. It took the bartender a long time to make the shots since he was trying to layer the alcohol. And then he set it on fire. It looked gross and tasted even worse. Bad, bad, bad idea.

So count for the night. 1 Rum and Coke, 1 Ceasar (spicy... yummy!), a few glasses of white wine (no idea... waiters constantly topping up), 3 Baileys, nasty-nasty double shot... that's it folks! I am sooo not a lush. Got to W on the TWH scale!!

No comments: