Friday, December 12

Day 9870: Motivation, or lack thereof

I have said it before, and I will continue to say it - my job is not my life. It pays for my life. It funds my hobbies. I don't mind the work that I do. Oftentimes, I even like it. There's something about the meticulous that appeals to my obsessive compulsive side. The balancing schedules, the neat little columns... the geekiness of accounting???? Ok. Even I won't go that far. The only thing I don't like is the repetitiveness and the lack of challenge. But the challenge comes on occassion, and perhaps it's the way that we rise up to meet the challenge that determines if there will be future challenges to be had.

I like the 9-5/9-5:30. I don't like that I can't take holidays between Jan - April. I really like the people that I work with. Having said that, I think that is one of the main reasons that I can't get myself motivated to even consider looking for another job. I doubt I will ever be able to find another group of people I get along so well with - especially in a work setting. I don't like that if I even attempt to be "creative" there is a possibility I could lose my designation or even go to jail... extreme, I know, but I've worked far too long and far too hard to have it taken away by something so silly.

So, what do I want? I've been asking myself for months now. Do I take a course and upgrade? Or do I scrap this career path altogether and do something I will truly enjoy doing... and if so... what the heck do I truly enjoy doing? There's so many things, but what is that one thing that I can make a career out of and make a semi-decent living at? Maybe I should become a computer programmer. Too funny! LOL... AS IF!!!

A very wise person once said... "Each day you're at a job you don't like, means you forgo your dream job (or your search for the dream job) another day." In the meantime, I'll just keep on dreaming... while I'm supposed to be working.

No comments: